Labour's Brexit betrayal is 'like a Carry On remake of Mutiny On the Bounty' blasts little known David Lidington as he stands in for Theresa May at PMQs

Mail Online | 12/7/2016 | Matt Dathan, Political Correspondent For Mailonline
smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/12/07/15/3B23E95200000578-0-image-a-10_1481123810223.jpg

Labour's betrayal over Brexit was compared to a Carry On remake of Mutiny On the Bounty by David Lidington as he stood in for Theresa May at Prime Minister's Questions today.

The Commons leader accused Jeremy Corbyn's party of 'drifting on Europe' and losing touch with the referendum result, labelling its policy on Brexit as 'rudderless'.

Labour - Threat - Government - Legislation - Article

And after Labour steps up its threat to amend the Government's legislation to trigger Article 50 - the formal mechanism for leaving the EU - he accused the party of behaving in a 'profoundly undemocratic' manner.

To roars of approval from Tory benches, he compared Remain MPs to the low budget Carry On franchise making a film about the crewmen who staged a revolt on HMS Bounty in 1789 and set their captain and 18 loyalists adrift in the south Pacific ocean.

Mr - Lidington - Government - Vote

Mr Lidington said: 'No other EU government is seeking to reverse or question the vote.

'It shows how distant the Labour party is from any aspiration to be back in government again.

Action - Mutiny - Bounty - Reshot - Carry

'We watch them in action - its like quarrelling like Mutiny on the Bounty as reshot by the Carry On team.'

He added: 'They are rudderless. They are drifting on Europe as on so many other aspects of policy.'

Mr - Lidington - Attack - Labour - Government

Mr Lidington's attack on Labour shows the Government stepping up its rhetoric on opponents over Brexit. Yesterday No 10 accused Labour and the Lib Dems of not being on the 'UK team' because of their plans to re-write any legislation needed to start Brexit talks.

Mr Lidington's opposite number, Emily Thornberry, who stood in for Mr Corbyn today, repeatedly asked Mr Lidington over whether the Government's plan is to stay in Europe's customs union after Brexit.

Details - Government - Plan - Brexit

After he refused to give any more details on the Government's plan for Brexit, she accused him of 'stonewalling'...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?