Why I’m Voting for DC Statehood Tomorrow

Eve Tushnet | 11/7/2016 | Eve Tushnet
roxy2707 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://media.patheos.com/Images/CathPT/CathPT_EveTushnet_bio.jpg

It’s not because I think DC should be a state.

“I don’t even think that’s the real point, frankly,” D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton says, in the very first quote of this depressing piece. My ballot tomorrow is going to be a fractal of civic helplessness. Let’s explore!

Statehood - Proposal - Landslide - Protest - Vote

So first of all, even if the statehood proposal wins in a landslide, it will not happen. It is a pure protest vote. For some people it’s a protest vote for left-wing and especially socially progressive politics–cf. the role abortion plays in that City Paper piece. For me, and for I think pretty much everyone (including the abortion-rights voters), it is more centrally a vote against “Johnny Mac” MacMillan. That’s the South Carolina Democratic congressman who sent Walter Washington–the first mayor of DC chosen by his city’s voters–a truckload of watermelons to welcome him to office. The fight for home rule is a fight against not just disenfranchisement, but specifically racialized disenfranchisement.

Nobody has convinced me that DC is economically viable as...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eve Tushnet
Wake Up To Breaking News!