Can AI-enhanced virtual sports presenters do the job? It's a big ask

www.theregister.co.uk | 2/14/2020 | Staff
kshama-skshama-s (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2015/03/16/terminator.jpg

Something for the Weekend, Sir? Call me paranoid, call me suspicious, call me an ambulance [slaps thigh], but I'm not sure I'm seeing things in the way I'm supposed to.

Call me Neo, call me Ishmael, call me (call me) oh my love when you're ready we can share the wine, but I get the feeling things don't quite make sense. I need help.

Example - Estate - Agent - Poll - Home

Help me with this, for example. An online estate agent, conducting a quick poll about "smart" home products for 2020, found that at top of the most-wanted list with 71 per cent was a "smart thermostat."

Now this is where reality and my perception of it take a fork in the road. Surely, I thought, a "smart thermostat" is, well, what we used to call... a "thermostat." You set a desired temperature, and one or more periods during which it should be active, and the thermostat determines – all by itself! – when the heating should come on or switch off. Individual radiators can be fitted with their own thermostats to fine-tune and regularise the temperature in different rooms. Smart!

Manufacturer - Right - Week - Thermostat - Combination

A manufacturer put me right this week. Apparently what makes a smart thermostat "smart" is a combination of internet connectivity and a cool glowing logo on the box. With a smart thermostat, I can adjust its settings remotely using an app. Ooh and that logo. Hmm, glowy.

So... "Smart" here means being able to control a device remotely… that is, what we used to call "remote control."

End - Dad - TV - Control - Channel

I still remember at the end of the 1970s when my dad bought our first colour TV with a remote control. We thought it was amazing to be able to change channel and adjust the volume without having to walk over to the set to push and rotate gigantic knurled cylinder buttons.

Now, of course, I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!