A Dialog with a Critic: The Metaphysical Illusion of Moral Law (Jeff Williams)

Eidos | 1/28/2020 | Staff
graceygracey (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/12/7C2197E8-A6FD-48C7-92D3-0738DC0DAAE7.jpeg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/12/7C2197E8-A6FD-48C7-92D3-0738DC0DAAE7-768x404.jpeg

If we wish to follow the Logos where He leads, we need to listen to critics, especially those with interesting things to say. Jeff Williams is a critic of metaphysics. A University of Chicago grad, he agreed to present his argument and I have posted it here unedited (except for some formatting and the title). As result of his rejection of metaphysics, he rejects objective moral law as an illusion.

Mr. Williams previously argued that Athens has no need of Jerusalem, which contributes nothing good to Western civilization. I responded and enjoyed the interaction immensely. Mr. Williams has taken the time to discuss Martin Heidegger, a philosopher not much in favor when I was in graduate school. I have enjoyed reading more Heidegger (alas in translation). As usual, I will allow this post to stand on its own for a time and then respond, linking to the response.

Thank - Work - Mr - Williams

Thank you for this careful work Mr. Williams!

Most Christian Apologists claim an objective God-given moral law. Its ontology, however, is confused in that this objective law would necessarily lie outside any individual subjectivity as an external, immutable, and verifiable object. At the same time, it is somehow accessible to all even though nobody has ever actually seen it. The explanation for that is usually a muddle claiming it is “written in our soul” which now turns it into subjective knowledge from internal sensibility, with no corresponding objective cause, of something that is supposed to be purely objective. This muddle is inherent in the Medieval Scholastic metaphysics from which it springs.

Life - Martin - Heidegger - Topic - Morality

When late in life Martin Heidegger was asked why he had never written on the topic of morality, he answered that we don’t yet even know the right questions to ask. In fact, there probably is no more desolate area in all of philosophy than...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!