British Stars Carey Mulligan, Himesh Patel Compile ‘Alternative BAFTA’ Nominees List

Variety | 1/27/2020 | Manori Ravindran
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/alternative-bafta2.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

British stars including Carey Mulligan, Himesh Patel and Gemma Arterton have contributed to an ‘Alternative BAFTAs’ list of nominees that honors talent overlooked by this year’s awards.

The campaign is organized by Time’s Up U.K., which is rolling out a social media blitz this week in the lead-up to Sunday’s BAFTA awards honoring the women and actors of color they feel should have been recognized by the British Academy, whose film awards nominations earlier this month were heavily criticized for shutting out actors of color, resulting in the hashtag #BaftasSoWhite.

Critics - Aim - Lack - Directors - Year

Critics also took aim at the lack of female directors in a year when Greta Gerwig’s “Little Women” and Lorene Scafaria’s “Hustlers” were audience favorites as well as box office hits.

Mulligan, whose turn in “Promising Young Woman” is garnering early acclaim out of Sundance, said she would nominate “Hustlers” director Scafaria, while Arterton said: “I loved ‘Booksmart’ and can’t believe it didn’t get any nods, especially for the acting and first-time director. Same goes for ‘The Nightingale’ and ‘Portrait of a Lady on Fire.'”

Yesterday - Star - Himesh - Patel - Nominations

Meanwhile, breakout “Yesterday” star Himesh Patel said his nominations would go to Lee Jung Eun for Best Supporting Actress for “Parasite” and Tzi Ma for Best Supporting Actor for “The Farewell.”

“My pick for Best Screenplay would be Emily Halpern, Sarah Haskins, Susanna Fogel and Katie Silberman (for) ‘Booksmart.’ My Best Actress in a Leading Role nomination would be Awkwafina (for) ‘The Farewell.'”

United - Kingdom - Director - Amma - Asante

Elsewhere, “A United Kingdom” director Amma Asante said her pick for Best Actress in a Leading Role would be “Queen & Slim” star...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A man rises to the greatness that is expected of him.