Lament Gives Way to Freedom

(in)courage | 1/27/2020 | Staff
hoppers911hoppers911 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/01272020_SarahMae_AcknowledgeandFace.jpg

Over one-third of the book of Psalms are filled with psalms of lament, crying out to God to help us. In fact, the word lament connotes raw, honest emotion with no pretense and literally means “to tear the hair and beat the breast.” When you lament you let it all out; you wail from a deep, guttural place.

When I think of lament, I can’t help but think of the people who were the first lamenters, Adam and Eve. Imagine with me for a moment that you’re happy and free, living in a beautiful place with interesting creatures and foods, and each morning you wake up and discover something new. To top it off, you get to spend personal time with God who made you, who created you into existence with His very breath. Life is good.

Day - Choice - Decision - Father - Eyes

But then one day, because of one choice, one decision made against what your Father had warned you about, your once innocent, shame-free eyes are opened, and nothing is the same. You and your husband lose everything you know.

Can you hear the wailing from outside the garden?

Beginning - Way - Life - Skin - Animals

And just when you thought the awful beginning was over, just as you settled into a new way of life that involved the skin of dead animals, the pain of seeing your husband struggle, the ugliness of weeds surrounding you constantly, the agony of childbirth, the fear of what might hunt you in the middle of the night, your one son murders your other son, and in that act you lose both of them — one to death and one to banishment.

How could you, God? No more, no more! It’s too much, and I am overtaken.

Lament

Lament.

Raw. Honest. Prayerful.

Lament - Lament - Grief - Grief - Death

There is blessing in lament. Lament frees us to feel and process grief. It could be the grief from the death of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!
Tagged: