Man the lifeboats!

Juicy Ecumenism | 1/27/2020 | UM Voices
Refel_4309Refel_4309 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://juicyecumenism.com/wp-content/uploads/Lifeboat.jpg

UM Voices is a forum for different voices within the United Methodist Church on pressing issues of denominational concern. UM Voices contributors represent only themselves and not IRD/UMAction.

Arthur Collins is a retired elder in the Indiana Annual Conference. He has an MDiv from Asbury Theological Seminary and a PhD from Indiana State University. In addition to blogging about the state of The UMC, he writes a lot about church history — especially the English church tradition, language, and Scouting ministry. He plays several instruments badly, can cook like nobody’s business, and has been married for 45 years to a very patient woman. This article originally appeared on his personal blog. Reposted with permission.

Friends - Protocol - Separation - General - Conference

It saddens me to see my traditionalist friends tearing each other over the Protocol for separation which will be presented to General Conference in May. I understand both sides.

Those who say, “those guys don’t speak for me!” and who are vowing to stay and stand for the truth, no matter what, have a point. We trads won the last time, and we have every prospect of winning this time. So why leave now? Some are not opposed to leaving, per se, but they feel we got swindled in the negotiations. They, too, have a point. But here’s the thing: for some people, it will never be time to make a deal; for others, no deal will ever be what they think we deserve.

Somebody - Leaving - Dynamic - People - Exits

But somebody’s leaving, and that will change the dynamic; indeed, people are heading for the exits already. Once a sufficient number of trads leave, the UMC will flip and the American progs will create the denomination they want (despite the howls of the Africans). And yes, I understand that creating the WCA started an impetus toward leaving that has acquired its own logic and urgency...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Juicy Ecumenism
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: