How ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘Station 19’ Will Sync Up for Its 2020 Crossover

Variety | 1/22/2020 | Marisa Roffman
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/befunky-collage-8.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Nearly a year after “Grey’s Anatomy” made television history by becoming the longest-running primetime medical drama, the ABC series is taking on a new challenge on Thursday, Jan. 23: becoming more immersed with its spinoff, “Station 19,” for a more unified two-hour weekly block.

But while there are natural ties between the two dramas, trying to line up storylines, share casts — who film on different lots — and find the right balance for the shows is a constant juggle.

Challenge - Career - Everyone - Thing - Krista

“It was for sure the greatest challenge of my career and everyone around me has been saying the same thing,” Krista Vernoff, who runs both shows, tells Variety. “[‘Station 19’ director/executive producer] Paris Barclay’s walking around saying, ‘I don’t know why we don’t have documentary crews rolling. This is crazy what we’re doing.’”

Here, Vernoff breaks down how the worlds of “Station 19” and “Grey’s Anatomy” will collide.

Grey - Antomy - Spinoff - Private - Practice

Much like the first “Grey’s Antomy” spinoff, “Private Practice,” which ran from 2007-2013, “Station 19” was launched as backdoor pilot on the mothership in 2018. Though there was an obvious overlap — “Grey’s Anatomy’s” Ben (Jason George) became a firefighter and moved to “Station 19” but remained married to “Grey’s Anatomy’s” Bailey (Chandra Wilson) — the two shows remained fairly separate.

But with the request for “Grey’s Anatomy’s” 16th season and “Station 19’s” third year to be more interconnected, Vernoff started from the ground up.

Priority - Work - Stories - Beginning - Love

“My top priority was character work and finding stories that excited me,” she says. “So I had to start at the beginning, which is falling in love with the world of first responders, the characters, figuring out what I still wanted to know about them and what I wanted to discover.”

And once those things made themselves known, she realized that the relationships, both platonic and romantic, would help serve to unite the shows....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!