Celebrating Expository Preaching in the African American Tradition

The Gospel Coalition | 1/21/2020 | Jeff Robinson,Eric Redmond
smnth28smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/13173912/lightstock_149568_medium_tgc.jpg

One of my most vivid memories growing up in church was the annual summer Sunday our congregation would gather with a local African American church for a joint worship service, followed by a potluck lunch (“dinner on the grounds,” we called it).

We handled it like a home-and-home football series—each church played host in alternating years. The visiting preacher delivered the sermon; the visiting choir handled the music. I certainly remember the incredible food and the robust singing. But what stands out in my mind was the preaching. When the black church’s pastor preached, I would sit with my family on the second row (Baptists typically eschew the front row), mesmerized by his handling of God’s Word and the passionate pathos that was part and parcel of his delivery.

Pastor - Friends - Pastor - Times - Dear

He and our pastor were close friends, and I remember our pastor saying many times, “I’m glad I don’t have to follow my dear brother into the pulpit.” Indeed, there was a unique power in his style. It was clear to me that this church’s pastor knew God, and he knew his people.

Thus it’s with great interest that we should welcome the appearance of a new book, Say It! Celebrating Expository Preaching in the African American Tradition (Moody), a multi-author work edited by Eric C. Redmond, associate professor of Bible at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. In this interview, we discuss the book as well as the unique style that marks expository preaching in the African American tradition.

Book

Tell us about the new book and what inspired it.

Say It! intends to both explain and also exalt the relationship between the African American preaching tradition and biblical exposition. For some readers, the book’s significance will be that several African American preachers promote exposition as a powerful means of communicating the truth of God’s Word. The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?