Star Trek: Picard's Patrick Stewart, EPs Hint at How Jean-Luc Has Changed: 'He's a Bit Tormented, Actually'

TVLine | 1/20/2020 | Dave Nemetz
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/star-trek-picard-patrick-stewart-jean-luc.jpg?w=1024

We haven’t seen Star Trek captain Jean-Luc Picard on screen in nearly two decades, and he’s changed quite a bit in that time… and so has the actor playing him.

“One of the reasons he’s different is that Patrick Stewart has also aged 20 years,” the 79-year-old Stewart, who returns as Jean-Luc in CBS All Access’ Star Trek: Picard (debuting this Thursday, Jan. 23), tells TVLine. “And that is a significant difference, not only in my physical life, which is OK,” he adds, with a knock on a nearby wooden table, “but [my] emotional life, internal life. You get to a point where your view of the future becomes somewhat adjusted by how far away the future might be.”

Nostalgia - Jean-Luc - Mind - Bit - Stewart

It’s not just wistful nostalgia on Jean-Luc’s mind, though. “He’s a bit tormented, actually,” Stewart notes.

That torment stems from Picard’s ugly split from Starfleet, which we learn occurred in the years since Stewart’s last appearance as Picard, in the 2002 film Star Trek: Nemesis. “In looking back at his regrets, Picard says, ‘I let the perfect be the enemy of the good,'” executive producer Alex Kurtzman hints. “He held, as he always has, such a high moral bar for how to behave in complicated gray areas. Then when he felt that Starfleet didn’t act in that interest, he took his toys and went home.” He adds that Picard is “still very much the Jean-Luc that we know from Next Generation” in many ways, “but he is much more broken. And he no longer has an armada behind him… It’s very easy to be the great man who faces complicated choices when you have an army behind you. It’s much harder when you don’t.”

Picard - Action - Woman - Isa - Briones

Picard springs back into action, though, when he’s approached by a young woman (played by Isa Briones) who is desperate for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Would you let a person who could only get a government job run your life? Well don't!