ASK FATHER: Glass chalices…. again?

wdtprs.com | 1/20/2020 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
AavyAavy (Posted by) Level 4

QUAERITUR:

I read about a parish using invalid hosts made from several varieties of grain. I have been to a mass recently where a glass chalice was used (as a matter of fact, with a simple blessing, the new chalice was “inaugurated”).

Internet - Chalice - Materials - Course - Wine

I always thought and what I found in internet was that the chalice must be made from noble materials and of course may not absorb the wine. Glass does not react or absorb. But is it considered a noble material?

Thanks for the question.

Opinion - Nobility - Glass - Glass - Materials

Various opinion might be given about the “nobility” of glass. Certainly glass can be beautiful. Also, materials that are called “glass” can be really really tough, such that even if dropped they would not shatter, whereas a metal chalice might dent.

That’s all beside the point.

Document - Redemptionis - Sacramentum - Glass

The document Redemptionis Sacramentum clearly states that glass is not to be used.

A key word here is reprobated. This is a technical term meaning that it is abolished, or forbidden in such a complete way that no one can appeal to custom (‘but I’ve been doing this for years now!”) nor can anyone try to establish a custom by violating the law over a long period of time.

Words… - GLASS - CHALICES

In other words…. NO GLASS CHALICES.

But WAIT! There’s MORE!

USCCB - Conference - Materials - Material - Use

It seem that the USCCB (the Conference, mentioned above) has allowed that other materials can be used, provided that they do not break easily and that the material is suitable for sacred use.

Firstly,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
What's more plentiful, hydrogen or stupidity?