A Touching Story About Alex Trebek And A Recent ‘Jeopardy!’ Contestant

The Federalist | 1/19/2020 | Christopher Jacobs
erinmmarionerinmmarion (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/29850172634_9507edbd97_k.jpg

Last November, I decided to make a quick trip out to Los Angeles. I had a few days free on my calendar, an airline voucher I needed to use, and a place to stay with family.

I made my trip to go out and see a taping of “Jeopardy!” Since Alex Trebek announced his cancer diagnosis in March, I felt a desire to go back to Stage 10 on the Sony Pictures Studio lot, where I had appeared on the show nearly 25 years ago, to watch a taping live for the first time in years. My experience didn’t disappoint, but not for the reasons I had expected.

Twitter - Thread - Experience - Twitter - Comments

Here I’ll expand on a Twitter thread about the experience, with the Twitter comments in italics.

THREAD: Since I was there for the episode’s taping in November, I want to share a touching story about #AlexTrebek and one of tonight’s @Jeopardy contestants.

Sum - Tonight - Jeopardy - Challengers - Shanu

In sum, tonight’s @Jeopardy featured two challengers (Shanu George and Priscilla Drobes) who struggled against the returning champion.

While watching the episode live, part of me worried that only Victoria, the defending champion, would have money at the end of Double Jeopardy, making her the only contestant to make it to Final Jeopardy. That scenario has happened a couple of times before, but it’s awkward for everyone involved.

Body - Language - People - Arms - Lock

Based on the body language, I think she was trying so hard to buzz in that she timed herself out. Quite often, the people who wave their arms up-and-down trying to buzz in lock themselves out—the gesticulating takes up time, and once they eventually depress the buzzer, another contestant has rung in.

I’ve been in her shoes on that stage. I buzzed in on a couple of responses I wasn’t sure about, guessed on my responses, and ended up losing money for those incorrect answers.

Footage

Watching the footage of last...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Federalist
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into"--Jonathan Swift