‘Suppressed: The Fight to Vote’: Film Review

Variety | 1/17/2018 | Owen Gleiberman
GoobeeGoobee (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/remote.axd_.jpeg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

In 2018, Stacey Abrams, having served in the Georgia House of Representatives for 10 years, ran as the Democratic candidate for governor of Georgia. She was the first African-American woman in the United States to be chosen as a gubernatorial nominee by one of the two major parties. Abrams had tremendous support, and after losing the election by just 50,000 votes, she sued the Georgia board of elections, citing multiple documented allegations of voter suppression. To this day, Abrams has refused to concede the election, and she’s right — there’s a powerful likelihood that the 2018 Georgia governor’s race was, in effect, stolen. That’s a moral, political, and legal outrage.

But as Robert Greenwald’s scary and galvanizing documentary “Suppressed: The Fight to Vote” demonstrates, the meaning of what happened in Georgia has implications that extend far beyond that race. As the film anatomizes, the Georgia election was a textbook case of what’s now happening to the American electoral system. It’s being undercut — not by Russian bots or too much fake news on Facebook (though none of that helps), but by the Republican Party, which has devised a kind of slow-motion, “invisible” series of methods to stack the deck. The implications are ominous.

Dime - Time - Say - Hillary - Clinton

If I had a dime for every time I heard a liberal say of Hillary Clinton in 2016, “She won the election” (because she won the popular vote), I’d be rolling in dimes. But let’s be clear: That kind of thinking may feel righteous, but it holds no water. Hillary Clinton did not win the election. The electoral college, in my opinion, should be handily abolished (it’s a time-machine relic), but until the day that happens we have the system we have.

Yet when forces within the establishment figure out ways to game the system, our democracy becomes a thinly...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: