F. Scott Spencer on the Gospel of Luke

Euangelion | 1/19/2020 | Staff
magiccastlemagiccastle (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/34/2019/09/Spencer-Luke-1.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/34/2019/09/Spencer-Luke-1-768x1137.jpg

Luke (THNTC); ed. J. B. Green.

Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2019.

Eerdmans - Koorong

Available at Eerdmans and Koorong.

This is easily one of best written and “edgy” Luke commentaries I’ve read for a while – and I read a lot. I have several favourites in Luke commentaries: Green (NICNT), Bock (BECNT), Tannehill (Fortress) and this is definitely up there with them.

F - Scott - Spencer - Career - Luke-Acts

F. Scott Spencer has spent a career in Luke-Acts and it shows in this Luke commentary, one of the last in the now discontinued THNTC series. Spencer is genuinely insightful in his exegesis, he includes some nice biographical asides, he is often comically direct, and the theology section is the best theologizing of/from Luke that I think I’ve ever read.

Spencer thinks the purpose of Luke is largely catechetical, namely, to reinforce the truth/solidity of the gospel. Spencer shows a certain kind of affection for and affinity with theological interpretation as laid out in the Bartholomew and Thomas “Manifesto for Theological Interpretation.” However, as a Baptist, he does have a few reservations: “As a theological interpreter, I freely admit to being formed by my ecclesial communities for good and ill (we still ive in a fallen, broken world) and by the wider span of ecclesiastical Christian traditions for good and ill (the church fathers are useful, but not infallible, and would have been more useful if they’d talked more with faithful church mothers) – all of which deeply inform my commentary writing about how I think Luke’s narrative aims to form “solid,” being-saved Christian pilgrims and to inform the Christian faith journey in Luke’s day and ours” (pp. 16-17).

Connection - OT - Ideas/events - Creation - Exodus

He sees a close connection between OT ideas/events of creation, exodus, exile, and restoration in Luke-Acts. I love his definition of “salvation” in Luke: “‘Saving’ In God’s terms defies narrow definition, bursting forth into a cosmic, holistic vision...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Euangelion
Wake Up To Breaking News!
To despair is to turn your back on God, you can never despair.