Paris Hilton Says She Was Playing a 'Character' on The Simple Life: 'I Knew What I Was Doing'

PEOPLE.com | 1/18/2020 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/mm/image?url=https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/paris-hilton-b.jpg?crop=0px,0px,1485px,779.625px&resize=1200,630

Paris Hilton is opening up a side of herself that the world has never seen before.

The DJ spoke about the misconceptions of her life during a TV Critics Association press tour event on Saturday. While promoting her new YouTube documentary series, This Is Paris, Hilton revealed that she was actually playing a “character” on her breakout reality show, The Simple Life.

World - Kind - Way - PEOPLE - Event

“I knew what I was doing but the whole world didn’t, so it was kind of frustrating to me to be perceived in that way because it’s not who I am at all,” she told PEOPLE at event. “But it was such an amazing and entertaining show that I would just think of it as entertainment.”

Hilton said though the “mean” jokes made at her expense did affect her in ways, she “can completely understand” why they were made looking back.

Person - Adult - Misconceptions - Character

“Obviously, I’ve grown as a person,” she said. “I’m an adult now, but just to be judged and have so many misconceptions based on a character that I had invented myself was frustrating.”

“At the same time, I built a huge brand off doing it,” she continued. “So, I don’t really regret it and I’m happy that people are going to finally see this film.”

Hilton - Life - Nicole - Richie - Show

Hilton starred in The Simple Life from 2003 to 2005 alongside Nicole Richie. The show followed the pair on their escapades in small and rural towns and later, corporate America.

While onstage, Hilton also talked about The Simple of Life, telling the audience: “I was having fun with it. I think, you know, I was in on the joke. People thought that’s who I really was, so sometimes it is annoying that people assume that I am kind of that, you know, blonde airhead that I was playing on the show. But I love, also, proving people wrong and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!