Cardinal Dolan conducting 'Vos estis' investigation into Brooklyn bishop

Catholic News Agency | 1/5/2020 | Staff
hoppers911hoppers911 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/shutterstock_1606664896.jpg

New York City, N.Y., Jan 18, 2020 / 09:05 pm (CNA).- Cardinal Timothy Dolan is conducting an investigation into Brooklyn Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio, following an allegation of sexual abuse. The investigation is being conducted under the provisions of Vos estis lux mundi, the new law issued by Pope Francis last year on dealing with accusations against bishops.

In a statement released Jan. 18, Joseph Zwilling, Director of Communications for the Archdiocese of New York, confirmed the investigation.

Vos - Estis - Cardinal - Dolan - Holy

“As directed by Vos Estis, Cardinal Dolan earlier notified the Holy See of the allegation that was raised concerning Bishop DiMarzio from his time as a priest in the Archdiocese of Newark. On January 7, 2020, the Cardinal received instruction from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith that he is to begin an investigation.”

On Nov. 13, 2019, DiMarzio publicly announced that he was the subject of an allegation of sexually abusing a minor dating back to his time as a priest in the 1970s in Jersey City.

Associated - Press - Mark - Matzek - DiMarzio

According to the Associated Press, 56-year-old Mark Matzek says DiMarzio and another priest, who is now deceased, repeatedly abused him when he was an altar server at St. Nicholas Catholic Church in the Diocese of Newark. DiMarzio was a priest there at the time.

Boston attorney Mitchell Garabedian sent a letter to the Archdiocese of Newark in November, notifying them that he was preparing a lawsuit on behalf of Matzek. The suit is reportedly seeking $20 million.

DiMarzio - Allegations - Abuse - Crime - Work

DiMarzio has strongly denied the allegations, calling sexual abuse a “despicable crime” and highlighting his own work to eradicate it from his own Diocese of Brooklyn. In November, the bishop said that he would vigorously defend himself.

“In my nearly 50-year ministry as a priest, I have never engaged in unlawful or inappropriate behavior and I categorically deny this allegation,” DiMarzio said.

Allegation

The allegation...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!