Why Does Washington Demonize Drug Companies?

Townhall | 1/14/2020 | Staff
anikianiki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.townhall.com/townhall/reu/s1280x720/2018/247/68405429-610f-4e49-97db-345b8be90710.jpg

Newsweek Changed Its Article About Me. But ...

Sheriff David Clarke, Ret.

Holidays - Elton - John - Biography - Me

Over the holidays, I read Elton John's biography, "Me." He writes about his friendship with Freddie Mercury, the ultra-talented lead singer of the rock group Queen. Mercury tragically died of AIDS at the age of 45 in 1991. Mercury was one of the last people to die of the disease in Britain during the epidemic years. John writes sadly and almost offhandedly that if Mercury had lived one year longer, he probably would have survived because of the AIDS medication that eventually saved millions of lives.

Then, a few days ago, we all read on the front pages of newspapers the amazing story that cancer death rates (age-adjusted) have fallen to their lowest level in decades. Millions of lives saved. We are winning the race for the cure remarkably quickly. The decline in the death rate is due in part to the considerable drop in smoking, but it's also because of new drug therapies and treatments to combat tumors.

Deaths - Heart - Disease - Decades - Years

Deaths from heart disease have also fallen dramatically in recent decades, though in recent years, obesity in America has slowed progress. Still, new wonder drugs to deal with strokes and diabetes have played a major role. According to a report in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the total age-adjusted mortality rates per 100,000 people changed from 266.5 in 1999 to 165.0 in 2017 for heart disease; from 61.6 to 37.6 for stroke; and from 25.0 to 21.5 for diabetes."

The public is roughly twice as likely to survive a cancer diagnosis or a heart attack today compared with four decades ago.

TV - Politicians - Drug - Companies - Enemies

Then, I turned on the TV and listened to the politicians vilify drug companies as public enemies. Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren refers to pharmaceutical firms as "corrupt cartels" that "rig...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Townhall
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.
Tagged: