California lawmakers REJECT first-of-its-kind ban on intersex surgery for kids six and under

Mail Online | 1/14/2020 | Associated Press
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/01/14/14/23386554-0-image-a-8_1579012604952.jpg

California lawmakers have rejected what would have been a first-of-its-kind ban on medically unnecessary treatment for infants born with ambiguous or conflicting genitalia.

The measure would have banned all procedures on intersex children six and under unless the Medical Board of California deemed them medically necessary.

State - Senator - Scott - Wiener - Democrat

State Senator Scott Wiener, a Democrat from San Francisco who wrote the measure, called it a civil rights issue.

Wiener claimed the bill would 'ensure that people who are born intersex are able to make their own choices about their health and their gender identity instead of having other people make those irreversible surgical choices for them.'

Majority - State - Lawmakers - Committee - Bill

But a majority of state lawmakers on a key legislative committee thought the bill's definition of 'intersex' was too broad, especially after hearing testimony from a pediatric urologist who said it would limit doctors' ability to treat patients with complex medical issues.

Three Democrats and one Republican on the Senate Business, Professions and Economic Development Committee voted to reject the bill after a lengthy public hearing that included testimony from people born with intersex traits - some who supported the bill and others who did not.

State - Senator - Jerry - Hill - Democrat

State Senator Jerry Hill, a Democrat from San Mateo, said he had an issue with limiting the surgeries until a child was six.

'I look at my granddaughter who is five, almost six - I don't know if that's something that she could make that decision on,' he said.

Wiener - Lawmakers - Parents - Decision - Procedures

Wiener repeatedly told lawmakers that parents would still have the final decision, but he believed delaying the procedures until a child could talk would help parents make it.

He said the vote likely means the proposal will not become law this year but vowed to keep trying to pass it in the future.

'These - Kids - Age - Something

'These are kids who are told from a young age that there is something wrong with them,'...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
With God all things are possible, but not probable.