Congressman: Pro-life Democrats get little support from pro-life groups

Catholic News Agency | 1/9/2020 | Staff
xxlauzyxxxxlauzyxx (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Congressman_Dan_Lipinski_Public_Domain_CNA_1.jpg

Washington D.C., Jan 9, 2020 / 04:00 pm (CNA).- Rep. Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.), one of the last remaining pro-life Democrats in Congress, has questioned the commitment of some pro-life groups to bipartisanship in the movement to end abortion.

“I’ve gotten some support from pro-life groups, but honestly, not as much as I’d like to see,” Lipinski told CNA in an interview on Thursday.

Someone - Self-promoter - Line - Situation - Member

“I am not someone who’s a big self-promoter but, look, I have put myself on the line in a more difficult political situation than almost any other pro-life member of Congress,” Lipinski said.

Lipinski is an eight-term pro-life Catholic congressman now fighting for his re-election in Illinois’ third congressional district, in the suburbs of Chicago. The district is safely-Democratic, but this election cycle marks the second straight challenge Lipinski has seen in the primary.

Primary - Marie - Newman - Lipinski - Support

In the 2018 Democratic primary, his opponent Marie Newman raised more than $1.4 million while making Lipinski’s pro-life support a focal point of her campign. A significant amount of outside money went into the race, and Lipinski barely held her off with a slim 2,145-vote margin. Buoyed by her strong challenge, Newman promptly announced her intent to run again in 2020.

“Some people in the pro-life movement do not seem to believe it’s that important to protect pro-life Democrats. And I think you just have to look at what the other side is doing, see the values that they place on defeating someone like me,” Lipinski said.

Pro-abortion - Groups - National - Abortion - Rights

Actively pro-abortion groups such as the National Abortion Rights Action League (NARAL) and Planned Parenthood have lined up in support of Newman.

Lipinski had to dig deep to survive the 2018 primary, raising more than $1.5 million and spending almost $2.4 million. Although he has not had to spend as much this election cycle, Newman’s campaign presents another stiff challenge just two years...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!