Year in review: Ten religion stories that stuck with me in 2019, including one of my own

GetReligion | 12/26/2019 | Bobby Ross Jr.
blackyblacky (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52c2df7ae4b0d215dded86fd/536fab69e4b00b0fd2515399/5dfcf06c2cd55764c04fcede/1577372410839/nordwood-themes-C0sW3yscQXc-unsplash.jpg?format=1500w

Did Santa bring everything you wanted for Christmas?

I hope so.

Year - Items - Gift - Bag

As we head toward a new year, I wanted to pull a few items out of my gift bag.

Here, in no particular order, are 10 of the most memorable religion stories that I read (and one I even wrote) in 2019:

Aug - Post - Times - Correspondent - David

In an Aug. 8 post, I praised Times national correspondent David Montero’s front-page feature on the parents of an El Paso, Texas, shooting victim. I described it as “emotional, heart-wrenching and maybe the best religion story you'll read all year.” I stand by that statement.

RNS national correspondent Adelle M. Banks’ compelling series focused on slavery and religion as Americans commemorated the 400th anniversary of the forced arrival of enslaved Africans in Virginia. Datelines included New York City, Montgomery, Ala., and Jamestown, Va.

Michael - J - Mooney - Texas - Monthly

I critiqued Michael J. Mooney’s Texas Monthly profile of Robert Jeffress, senior pastor of the First Baptist Church of Christ, in a July 25 post. I wrote: “The story gets really interesting, it seems to me, when the writer — who makes no attempt to hide his own liberal leanings — starts detailing his personal interactions with Jeffress.”

The Tennessean religion writer Holly Meyer gave more than fan-girl treatment to the rise of God-infused lyrics in country music. In a June 3 post, I lauded her “timely, thought-provoking dive into ‘God and Country Music.’”

Everything - Religion - Abortion - Wait - Way

“Everything you think you know about religion and abortion is wrong.” Wait, what!? That’s the intriguing way that Deseret News faith writer Kelsey Dallas opened her story on the complexities of religion’s role in the abortion debate. As I noted in a May 23 post, I was impressed — as I often am — with Dallas’ “nice mixture of expert analysis and helpful data.”

The Texas newspapers’ series on sexual abuse in the Southern Baptist Convention was ranked...
(Excerpt) Read more at: GetReligion
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Putting government in charge of morality, is like putting Satan in charge of ...