The Genealogies of Christmas

Eidos | 12/15/2019 | Staff
bethtetleybethtetley (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/12/51688387-036A-4490-BB3A-2D1A8C434FB8.jpeg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/12/51688387-036A-4490-BB3A-2D1A8C434FB8-768x404.jpeg

As a boy, if it was my turn to do the Bible reading in devotions, I dreaded the “son of” sections. There were names I did not know that are challenging to sound out for anyone, but given my difficulty pronouncing vowels, a constant embarrassment, the reading was hard. This is not, perhaps, the most serious childhood problem, but it was not fun, at all.

All evils produce goods, given the deep beauty of God’s cosmos, and one good that came of my difficulty reading all those “son of” passages was being forced to think about them. I could not breeze along, as I did with most reading, so I had to stop, think about it, and consider what it all meant.

Jesus - Family - Antiquity - Nobody - Ancestry

Jesus was born of a family that stretched into antiquity. Obviously this is true for all of us: nobody is born without ancestry. We forget this at times, since we tend to think about ourselves, easy enough to forget that we exist only because of those who came before us.

When we ignore the past, we ignore what created us.

When we ignore the past, we are ignorant of what made us.

So sometimes we must pause and consider our genealogy. This matters. My family chose to come to Jamestown in the early colonial period, leaving England for America. Unlike some Reynolds folk, we chose to keep moving and eschew slaves and tobacco. We kept moving until we reached western Virginia. There we stayed and the lesson of those choices has helped me all my life. My ancestors chose righteousness over the world, the flesh, and devils. I have not done so well as they did, but the voice of those men...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!