Louis Gossett, Jr. on ‘Watchmen’ and How He Really Feels about the Masks We All Wear

Collider | 12/15/2019 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/watchmen-louis-gosset-jr.jpg

From series creator Damon Lindelof (The Leftovers, Lost) and based on the iconic graphic novel created by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons, the HBO drama series Watchmen is set in an alternate history where masked vigilantes are treated as outlaws and the police conceal their identities behind masks to protect themselves from a terrorist organization, known as the Seventh Kavalry. It’s a story that is equal parts challenging and thought-provoking, as it looks at so many of the modern issues that plague us today, and questions who the true heroes and villains really are.

During this 1-on-1 phone interview with Collider, actor Louis Gossett, Jr. (who plays the mysterious Will Reeves) talked about how little he knew about what Watchmen was when he signed on, how honored he was to be asked to be a part of this show, the brilliance of Damon Lindelof, why he’s so excited about this project, believing that everyone must drop the masks that they wear for our own mutual salvation, what’s surprised him about making this show, and how much he’s enjoyed working with co-star Regina King, who played Angela Abar, a.k.a. Sister Night, on the show.

Note - SPOILERS - Watchmen

Note: SPOILERS for Watchmen ahead.

Collider: Thank you for talking to me. It’s an honor and a pleasure to talk to you about this character, who’s just so fascinating. When this came your way, did you have any idea what this story was? Did you have any idea about the fan base this story has?

LOUIS - GOSSETT - JR - Idea - Man

LOUIS GOSSETT, JR.: I had no idea. I just thought that this brilliant man (Damon Lindelof) saw fit to include me in his dream. I’m very touched by him. He’s a brilliant young man. He did all of it, and he wrapped it in a beautiful package for us to share. There are some...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Vote for gridlock, it's our only hope!