PLEASE WRITE THIS NOVEL

First Things | 1/19/2018 | John Wilson
moemajormoemajor (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.firstthings.com/uploads/article_5df3ab734cf09.jpeg

Speaking only for myself, I can’t resist expressing such hopes, silly as they may sound, unlikely as their chance of coming to fruition may be. Just yesterday I started reading Tolstoy’s “The Death of Ivan Ilyich,” a story I’ve read many times before, but on this occasion in a new translation (by Boris Dralyuk). Some writer, I thought, should take Tolstoy’s story and transpose it to our own day, with a twist: Instead of dying, the protagonist will enter one of those places (“homes,” they’re sometimes called) where many old people are waiting to die.

Lately, also, I’ve gone on record as wishing that a number of novelists would be inspired to write about a character who seeks to lead a Christ-like life. Their books could go at this in any number of ways; there’s no single template for such an enterprise. I was surprised when, in response, many people said that above all such a novel must not come across as “preachy.” This seems odd, since didacticism is very much in fashion in fiction today. Perhaps it all depends on what you are preaching.

Movies - Someone - TV - Shows - Nowadays

I also think about movies I wish someone would make, and TV shows (though I don’t see many of those nowadays). In 2007, inspired (if that’s the word) by news of a remake of the 1970s show The Bionic Woman, I suggested several other possibilities:

Bionic Housewife. Madison Miles is a young lawyer on the fast track. She and her husband, also a lawyer, have a daughter who is enrolled in an élite preschool. Madison is fluent in Chinese, Arabic, and Turkish and unwinds by playing the saz (a long-necked Turkish lute; the theme music for the series will feature Talip Ozkan). In the first episode, Madison is rushing to pick up her daughter when she is broadsided...
(Excerpt) Read more at: First Things
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: