STOPPING BY AFTER FORTY YEARS — PART 3

spectrummagazine.org | 12/13/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://spectrummagazine.org/sites/default/files/ibrahim-rifath-fw8xibixkec-unsplash-sm.jpg

This is Part 3 of Douglas Ort’s three-part series. Read Part 1 here and Part 2 here.

“I’ll listen only to stuff from the right people”

Michael - Moore - Kids - Columbine - People

Michael Moore: “If you were to talk directly to the kids at Columbine or the people in that community, what would you say to them if they were here right now?”

So, in 2002, were you listening to either Michael Moore or Marilyn Manson? Would you have dismissed Manson’s admonition to listen simply because of who said it?

Forty - Years - Marilyn - Manson - Stage

Here’s who I’ve been listening to over the past forty years, perhaps as scary to some as Marilyn Manson is in stage makeup to parents.

Following my work with Present Truth/Verdict I continued to read and study. In 1981 I found Bruce Malina, The New Testament World: Insights from Cultural Anthropology. I mentally bookmarked it because I believed that Malina had written something important. Years later I would figure out what that was.

1970s - Ed - Friedman - Generation - Generation

Throughout the 1980s, I used scripture much as I had taught and learned in the 1970s. After I discovered Ed Friedman’s masterful Generation to Generation in 1986 my intellectual energies focused on Bowen theory. In seminary (1988-1990) I took time to think about how Bowen theory informed my views in theology and biblical studies (as well as the anxiety and reactivity of both students and scholars when challenged), a process that carried me through most of the 1990s. Bowen theory is predicated on the idea that human relationships systems share similar evolutionary processes with non-human mammals. Keynote presenters at Bowen theory symposia and other trainings invariably share research on relationship processes involving non-human populations, demonstrating common features of populations from different species. So, I read a lot of scientists and deepened my understanding of human families in the process.

Toward the end of the 1990s I re-engaged biblical studies, interestingly...
(Excerpt) Read more at: spectrummagazine.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: