'The Farewell's' Lulu Wang Books Next Project: Amazon's Nicole Kidman Drama Series (Exclusive)

The Hollywood Reporter | 12/12/2019 | Natalie Jarvey
Click For Photo: https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2019/12/_lulu_wang.jpg

Lulu Wang is following up The Farewell with Amazon original series The Expatriates.

The filmmaker behind the summer box office breakout has joined the drama as a writer and executive producer. She will also direct multiple episodes of the Hong Kong-set series. Expatriates will see Wang teaming up with exec producer Nicole Kidman, who brought the project based on Janice Y.K. Lee's 2016 novel of the same name to the streamer earlier this year.

Janice - Lee - Novel - Characters - Exploration

"When I first read Janice Lee’s diasporic novel, I was immediately drawn to the rich characters and the global yet intimate exploration of life in modern Hong Kong," Wang said in a statement. "I'm thrilled to be working with Nicole Kidman and Amazon, whose commitment to bold, nuanced storytelling make them the perfect partners to translate this atmospheric story to screen."

Expatriates, which already has a straight-to-series order at Amazon, follows a group of close-knit expatriates living in Hong Kong.

Project - Wang - Foray - Television - Filmmaker

The project marks Wang's first foray into television. The Beijing-born filmmaker, who moved to the U.S. at age six, has written and directed two feature length films, 2014's Posthumous and 2019's The Farewell. Wang adapted the latter project from her 2016 This American Life story about her family's decision to hide a terminal cancer diagnosis from her grandmother. The A24 film, which stars Awkwafina and Zhao Shuzhen, earned $19.6 million following worldwide its July...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Hollywood Reporter
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Vote for gridlock, it's our only hope!