Click For Photo: https://media.swncdn.com/christianity/resource/areas/newchristianity/resources/images/defaultimages/article-large-landscape.png
In talking about the pros and cons of “celebrity pastor” culture, my friend Carey Nieuwhof quipped that one thing you’ll never hear is an unchurched person sitting around evaluating preachers. “Comparing preachers is something churched people do, not unchurched people.”
He’s right, of course.
Thing - Light - Person - Church - Celebrity
And he also noted why it’s a silly thing to be concerned about, much less competitive about, in light of reaching the unchurched. An unchurched person comes to a church not because of a celebrity pastor (They don’t know any of them, and if they do it’s usually not a positive assessment.), but because a friend invited them.
And then, when they do come, they do not think about or evaluate things the way a churched believer might.
Fun - Things - Person - Service - Friend
So just for fun, here are 12 more things you’ll never catch an unchurched person saying—specifically, as they are walking out of a service they attended with a friend:
1. “Your pastor wasn’t hip enough. I was looking for skinny jeans, shaved hair, jewelry, hip sneakers. Something Kardashianish.”
Calvinism - Complementarianism - Eschatology
2. “Where do you stand on Calvinism, complementarianism and pre-trib eschatology?”
3. “What denomination are you?”
Hymns - Songs
4. “I wish they had played hymns and worship songs I knew. These were all new to me.”
5. “The sermon was too short. And there wasn’t enough Scripture.”
Invitation - End - Invitation - End
6. “Why wasn’t there an invitation at the end? There should always be an invitation at the end.”
7. “It would have been nice to have had more time for prayer.”
Visitor - Pastor
8. “I was a first-time visitor and was disappointed I never met the pastor, and I was also disappointed that I...
Wake Up To Breaking News!