Give Your Pastor the Book of the Year

Cranach | 12/11/2019 | Staff
anikianiki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/305/2019/12/Pastor-preaching.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/305/2019/12/Pastor-preaching-768x580.jpg

The book by my good friend Hal Senkbeil, The Care of Souls: Cultivating a Pastor’s Heart, is the winner in the category of Church/Pastoral Leadership in the 2020 Christianity Today Book Awards! It also tied for the best book on Ministry in the Gospel Coalition Book Awards.

I wrote about this book earlier this year in my blog post A Book Every Pastor Should Read. Rev. Senkbeil, who has extensive experience in all kinds of parishes and as a seminary professor, has a ministry to pastors called Doxology, which helps them deal with the problems they may face in the ministry today face (such as discouragement, burnout, temptations) and teaches them the art of pastoral care and the cure of souls (which is not the same as psychological counseling!). This book does the same.

Citation - Christianity - Today - Book - Award

Here is the citation for the Christianity Today Book Award:

Here is the citation for the Gospel Coalition Book Award:

Category - Ministry - Congregation - Sermons—important - Work

Preaching typically gets the most ink under the category of pastoral ministry, but there’s far more to shepherding a congregation than writing and executing sermons—important as that work is. Harold Senkbeil has spent five decades preaching, but also shepherding the people of God, and The Care of Souls is a product of wisdom treasured up during his half-century in local church ministry. Having grown up on a dairy farm in the Midwest, Senkbeil builds this compelling manual for loving church members around insights gained taking care of animals and crops. The result is a well-written book on shepherding that gives equal time to the care of souls and the pastor’s own pursuit of holiness. This will be a must-read for young pastors for years to come.

Here is the endorsement I wrote for the book:

Pastor - Psychologist - Entrepreneur - CEO - Christianity

A pastor is not primarily a psychologist, an entrepreneur, or a C.E.O. According to classical Christianity, a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Cranach
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.
Tagged: