Library of Congress adds record seven female-directed films to national registry

the Guardian | 12/11/2019 | David Smith
oxboyoxboy (Posted by) Level 4
A record seven films directed by women make this year’s list of America’s most influential movies enshrined for posterity by the Library of Congress.

Madeline Anderson’s I Am Somebody (1970), considered the first documentary on civil rights directed by a woman of colour, is among the annual selection of 25 titles added to the national film registry.

Press - Release - Library - Washington - Anderson

In a press release issued by the library in Washington, the pioneering Anderson was quoted as saying: “The film documents the story of 400 black hospital workers in Charleston, South Carolina, who went on strike in the spring of 1969; 388 of the strikers were women.

“They won the hundred-day strike, and the induction of I Am Somebody into the registry is a tribute to their courage and perseverance.”

Importance - Nation - Film - Heritage - Boys

Another of those selected because of its “cultural, historic and aesthetic importance to the nation’s film heritage” is Boys Don’t Cry, a 1999 docudrama that tells the story of Brandon Teena, a murdered trans man, and earned Hilary Swank an Oscar.

Its director, Kimberly Peirce, said: “Twenty years later, it still feels like a miracle that Boys Don’t Cry got made. I fell in love with Brandon Teena and his desire to live and love as himself in a time and place where that was impossible.

Conviction - Brandon - Life - Screen - Audiences

“I felt a powerful conviction to bring Brandon to life on screen, so audiences would love him as I did and share my horror at his rape and murder. To our amazement, the world embraced Brandon. It is meaningful to me as a film-maker, a genderqueer and as a person that the Library of Congress has recognised Boys Don’t Cry. This moment is a culmination, unimaginable and wonderful.”

Only one woman has won an Oscar for best director: Kathryn Bigelow for 2009’s The Hurt Locker. The national film registry, which now has 775 titles, is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: the Guardian
Wake Up To Breaking News!