5 OUTDATED LEADERSHIP PRACTICES IN TODAY’S OFFICE (WHY 8-4 DOESN’T WORK ANYMORE)

CareyNieuwhof.com | 12/8/2019 | Staff
MireilleMireille (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i0.wp.com/careynieuwhof.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/shutterstock_561233851.jpg?fit=1000,667&ssl=1

If you sense that things are changing rather profoundly in the workplace these days, you’re correct.

What’s strange is that so many of the rules at work that made sense a decade ago just don’t anymore. What seemed normal at work for several generations is suddenly seeming as outdated as driving to Blockbuster to pick up a movie. Knowledge workers are the most impacted by what’s happening.

Technology - Mobility - Rise - Generation - Graduates

Technology, mobility and the rise of a generation of digital-native graduates are shifting things more quickly than you think.

The change is so deep and intense it’s left a lot of senior leaders, managers, and employers wondering what’s going on.

Young - Leaders - Change - Leaders

Young leaders intuitively understand the change better. But many leaders simply don’t.

Many white-collar organizations, businesses and non-profits operate as though the internet never happened. And increasingly, it’s going to cost them the best and brightest young leaders who will go elsewhere or simply start their own venture.

Teams - Decades - Company - Team - Members

I’ve led in-person teams for two decades, and more recently I’ve led a virtual company with team members scattered across Canada, the US and elsewhere with multiple timezones, connected only through our devices and our mission, vision and values.

As a result, I’ve had a sudden immersion into the emerging workplace. The changes seem far more threatening than they are. Surprisingly, I’ve found the changes to be liberating and exciting, not just for the team, but for me. While there’s a learning curve and at times things can get wobbly, the upside greatly outweighs the downside.

Handle

So how do you get a handle on all this?

In this post, I’ll share 5 outdated leadership practices and some insights on how to address them.

So what exactly is outdated?

Well, for starters, these five practices.

Reasons - Office - Sense - Century - Tools

One of the reasons the office as we knew it made sense for almost a century is because the tools for work were...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CareyNieuwhof.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
There's no problem on the inside of a kid that the outside of a dog can't cure.