Daniel Rezende on Netflix Brazilian Series ‘Nobody’s Looking’

Variety | 12/6/2019 | Emiliano Granada
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/12/nto_drez_04.jpg?w=640&h=377&crop=1

Having premiered on Netflix Nov. 22, “Nobody’s Looking” marks the first collaboration between Gullane and Netflix – their second, “Boca a Boca” is in development- and comes from a long list of new projects that the streaming giant has announced with it’s $87 Million investment in Brazilian content.

The series embodies the streaming platform’s push into regional production: High concept and higher production values that aim for an international appeal without losing a sense of regional identity.

Organization - Angels - Humans - Beings - Rules

It depicts a bureaucratic organization of guardian angels in which the uniformed “angelus” invisibly protects humans beings, always following the rules of an absent Boss. With the arrival of Uli (Victor Lamoglia), a new “angelus” that starts questioning the established rules, the whole system slowly sinks into crisis as the series joyfully plays with consequences and the interactions between humans and angels.

The eight-episode series was created by Daniel Rezende, Carolina Markowicz and Teodoro Poppovic. Variety interviewed Rezende, already Oscar-nominated for his work editing “City of God,” who showruns and directs the series.

Comedy - Matter - Show - Performances - Actors

Comedy is always a matter of timing. Your show relies not only on the performances of the actors to find it, but on an acute camera design. What were your guidelines when finding that comedic rhythm? Did you have working references?

I began my career in the movie industry as a film editor, so naturally editing is always at the back of my mind throughout the entire process, from the writers’ room to the set. I relied a lot on Edgar Wright as a reference for directing and editing. Everything he does is dynamic, and his editing is always key for comic rhythm. But comic timing has been a concern since day one, and we were very lucky to have Leandro Ramos as a writer, as well as an actor (he plays Sandro in the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!