We’ve Seen ‘Birds of Prey’s Opening Scene and Harley Quinn’s New Gotham Is Wild

Collider | 12/5/2019 | Haleigh Foutch
Click For Photo: https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/birds-of-prey-gang-600x250.png

Warner Bros. brought their upcoming DCEU entry Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn at CCXP 2019 in São Paulo, Brazil tonight and before they got into the nitty-gritty of the panel, they treated the audience to the opening scene of the film. Welcome to a new Gotham — this is Harley Quinn’s Gotham. Bright. Vibrant. Colorful. And absolutely mad.

“If you want to tell a story right, you gotta start at the beginning,” we hear Margot Robbie‘s narration over the opening logos. “They say behind every successful man there’s a badass broad,” she says. But, “I guess all good things come to an end. So we broke up.” We see a disheveled Harley literally thrown out on the street by a henchman, lying on the ground.

Image - Warner - Bros

Image via Warner Bros.

“Mister Jay was super broke up about it,” Harley says. But the picture shows another story. Harley’s sobbing, trying to beat down the Joker’s door to no answer. Harley Quinn, as you’d probably expect, is not a reliable narrator. And that trend continues.

Place - Mine - Scene - Cuts - Mess

“I got an amazing new place that was all mine,” she says, as the scene cuts to reveal her in a mess of a run-down apartment, where she tattoos her own leg, throws knives at a drawing of the Joker, and cuts her hair. Oops. She chops her pigtails and instantly starts crying, initially horrified at her new look.

“I even opened myself up to the possibility of new love,” she says in voiceover as Harley walks into clearly off the books kennel, where she finds her beloved Hyena. She’s fawning and swooning over the massive creatures while the creepy salesman tells her he accepts all types of payment. “Here’s the thing about new love,” she says, “you have to feed it.” Literally. The hyena is nomming...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!