Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Celtic_cross_Credit_smilla4_via_Flickr_CC_BY_NC_2O_CNA.jpeg
Dublin, Ireland, Dec 5, 2019 / 07:00 pm (CNA).- After the demolition of a Dublin building, archaeologists have discovered the foundations a 300-year-old church that was used during times of Catholic persecution.
The church was uncovered by a team of archeologists during a dig taking place before the development of a 10-story office building planned for the site.
Excavation - Church - Place - December
Excavation of the church will likely take place until December.
“We have to dig here very carefully because the church is a recorded monument,” archeologist Franc Myles told The Irish Times.
Church - St - Andrew - Parish - Dublin
The church, St. Andrew’s Parish in central Dublin, was built in 1709, when British penal laws outlawed the practice of Catholicism.
“There was probably a building used as a chapel from the foundation of St Andrew’s Parish in 1709 and it is depicted on John Rocque’s map [of Dublin] of 1756,” a developer’s archeological report explains...
Wake Up To Breaking News!