Click For Photo: https://media.swncdn.com/christianity/resource/areas/newchristianity/resources/images/defaultimages/article-large-landscape.png
If you feel like you blinked and another decade has come and gone, you’re not alone. It’s hard to believe that we have come to the end of the 2010s. As with all milestones, it’s important to assess what happened. Or, in our increasingly fast-paced world, what “just” happened, as seismic changes seem to happen in… well… a blink.
The New York Times ran its own cultural assessment, listing 33 dynamics of the last 10 years. Nine stood out to me:
Were - Superheroes - Avengers - DC - Universe
1. We Were Supersaturated with Superheroes. It seems like the Avengers have been around forever, but they only “assembled” in 2012. Throw in the DC Universe with Marvel and we’ve been a very spandex world.
2. Gay Culture Took Center Stage. “Moonlight” won the Oscar for best picture after “Carol” was a six-time nominee. “Will & Grace” came back and another batch of Queer Eye got hatched. Throw in Frank Ocean, Brandi Carlile, Billy Porter, Michael Douglas playing Liberace, “Orange Is the New Black” on TV… and rockudramas on Elton John and Freddie Mercury. The 3% or so of the population who are gay received a lot of time on the court.
Instagram - Tabloid - Star - Photo-sharing - App
3. Instagram Killed the Tabloid Star. A free photo-sharing app did away with the paparazzi.
4. Music Went Global. The world changed when “Despacito” dominated… wait for it… America. Then came Rosalia, Bad Bunny, J. Balvin and did I mention K-pop?
MeToo - Changed - Everything - Hashtag - MySpace
5. #MeToo Changed Everything. The hashtag was first used on MySpace in 2006, but it took off in 2017 with a single tweet from Alyssa Milano.
6. Podcasts Became a Way of Life. It was during this past decade that podcasts “stopped being a way to listen and became a way of life.”
Netflix - Bingeing - Netflix - House - Cards
7. Netflix and Bingeing. When Netflix introduced “House of Cards” by dropping 13 episodes at once, little did we know that...
Wake Up To Breaking News!