Ordiversary Party: ending the year right!

RevGalBlogPals | 12/5/2019 | Staff
marikamarika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://revgalblogpals.files.wordpress.com/2019/12/767463c1-bd18-4725-bb1e-b68ead36487f.jpeg

Hello, December! You’ve come with Christmas parties and twinkling lights (here in the very dark-nights-short-days of Scotland anyway)….and now with an INCREDIBLE person to help us celebrate December ordiversaries!

The Rev. Dr. Wil Gafney is an amazing priest and professor, a great scholar, and a wonderful friend. She’s shared her “saga” of responding to God’s call to kick off the December Ordiversary Party. Read on to hear more about her story, her current work, and her advice to those just embarking on this incredible journey.

Wil - Gafney - Priest - Professor

Wil Gafney, priest and professor.

Photographed at Trinity Episcopal Church in Ft. Worth, Texas.

Misty - Keasler - All - Rights

Photographed by Misty Keasler. All rights reserved.

I joined the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church as an adult having been baptized in the very similar AME Church as a child. Our pastor taught on spiritual gifts and led us in discernment. I fasted and prayed and was directed to a passage in Ezekiel from which I discerned my call to teach:

Time - Call - Lay - Capacity - Church

At the time I understood that call to be in a lay capacity in the church. Within a year I discerned a call to preach and was perplexed because I was so certain of my teaching call. When I mentioned it to a new (senior) pastor with whom I was at some odds, I was surprised when he said, “What took you so long. I saw it on you when I met you.” I was really flummoxed and fasted again, returning to Ezekiel. In my prayer I came to understand that the call to preach was an extension of my call to teach, they went together and, most importantly, that vocational calls can and do unfold and evolve. Later I was not surprised with the revelation of my call to pastor and then to serve as an Army chaplain. There were those who said I did...
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: