Religion and Life on Mars (Again)

Cayley1561Cayley1561 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/719/2019/11/Religions-and-Extraterrestrial-Life.jpg

First, the news that an entomologist claims to have spotted insects on Mars. Take a look at the images and judge for yourselves.

Now, for a recent IO9 article:

Implications - Religions - Life - Cause - Mass

What about implications for religions? Would finding alien life cause a mass crisis of faith?

“Unfortunately, I’ve spent years working through these questions,” said Weintraub. “My 2014 book, Religions and Extraterrestrial Life, is devoted entirely to how religions of the world would react. The short answer is that some already believe in ET (e.g., Mormonism, Bahá’í ), some simply assume such life likely (Hinduism, Buddhism), some think that ET is God’s business, not ours (Judaism), and some (mostly conservative Christian denominations) would have big problems.”

Groups - Veracity - Dinosaur - Fossils - Stretch

Since certain religious groups already deny the veracity of dinosaur fossils, however, it’s not a stretch to imagine that they would also refute any evidence of alien life.

What would your reaction be? That of your religious community if you have one? I think there will be denial of such a discovery, and it may not all come from religions. I also expect the denial to overlap largely with other forms of science denial, in particular young-earth creationism. Proponents of Intelligent Design might point to it as evidence in support of their own stance – just as they also cite the lack of evidence of life elsewhere as purportedly proof that life cannot begin or...
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Would you let a person who could only get a government job run your life? Well don't!
Tagged: