Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Christmas Pudding 2019

wdtprs.com | 11/25/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
itsdonaldkitsdonaldk (Posted by) Level 3

A few people asked me to post about making this year’s Christmas Pudding. Yesterday was “Stir Up Sunday” (¡Hagan lío! Sunday?), the last of the liturgical year. It is so-called because of the first words of the Collect. But I’ve written on that elsewhere.

Putting together my mise en place. I’m using Delia’s recipe, with variations. That requires measurement by weight and volume for liquids, thus, the graduated cylinder.

Aspect - Recipe - Preparation - Suet - O

The least pleasant aspect of the recipe is the preparation of the suet. I lopped some o’ this here hunk off and made sure it were froze some.

Grate the suet. Add the bread crumbs and blend together. As it was I had to use a multi-bladed pastry cutter.

Ingredients - List - Zester - Orange - Lemon

Adding all the ingredients and ticking them off the list, so that I don’t miss any. I couldn’t find my usual zester for the orange and lemon, so I zested with an erzatz zester, I tested before hand, then rested and zested the aforesaid lemon. Here is the bested orange, zested.

Into the eggs beaten with bourbon (not rum this year) goes the stout. There is also barleywine.

Fridge

Now it goes to the fridge for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!