Scot McKnight’s Reading Romans Backwards– Part Fifteen

The Bible and Culture | 11/25/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/55/2019/10/51oVAvwNrhL._SX322_BO1204203200_-1.jpg

BEN: ON pp. 95-96 there is a discussion of the much-debated phrase ‘the obedience of faith’ and I think you are right that this does not mean faith as a form of obedience but the obedience that flows from faith. There is an interesting dissertation done by one of my former doctoral students Dr. Jason Myers, where he shows that the language of ‘the obedience of faith’ is in fact part of Imperial propaganda, the propaganda about peace=pacification, and obedience and submission to the Empire as a sign of good faith…. This dissertation I think would further undergird your point here that this phrase is about the sort of lived theology referred to in Rom. 12ff. COMMENTS?

SCOT: Interesting. The interface of imperial language and NT language fascinates me, in part because I often wonder how in the world they would have heard such things. Is Myers’ evidence public evidence? I’d be interested in this… Don Garlington’s stuff long ago is part of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Bible and Culture
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into"--Jonathan Swift