The Good Place's Chidi-Centric Episode Was a Massive Heart Warmer

TVGuide.com | 11/21/2019 | Kelly Connolly
Click For Photo: https://tvguide1.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2019/11/22/67a6ddf6-7841-4597-8555-81c9f7f31179/thumbnail/1300x867/e3ae82a1177a4e662668b776c667638d/tgp-409-news.jpg

Our old pal Chidi (William Jackson Harper), the one who got an anxious tummy ache as a li'l baby, is gone. Not gone gone — there was no great disaster as Michael (Ted Danson) reassembled Chidi's memories from the "giant bowl of M&M Peep chili" that is his psyche, even though I thought maybe something was going to go horribly wrong and he would end up mind-melded with Jason's (Manny Jacinto) Duval Ditch Water. Chidi is fine. But his anxiety has taken a back seat after so many hundreds of trips through the afterlife, leaving us with a Chidi who might actually be calm enough to save humanity.

We saw signs of this Chidi in Season 3 as his relationship with Eleanor (Kristen Bell) mellowed him out, but The Good Place's midseason finale reveals he really went full Enlightened Chidi when he hit on an epiphany at the least convenient time: right as Michael was getting ready to erase his memory. Now that he's awake and all his memories are back, he remembers what he told Michael that night: "Life isn't a puzzle that can just be solved one time and it's done. You wake up every day and you solve it again."

Show

Discover your new favorite show: Watch This Now!

Chidi has been obsessed with answers since he was a kid. His parents were fighting a lot, so at age 8 he sat them down for a lecture on why they should stay married — and it worked. Young Chidi and his Adorable Sweater Vest took this at face value and assumed he'd fixed his parents all by himself, which taught him that every problem can be solved if you just think hard enough. (Young Uzo: "I know you're really smart but that sounds wrong.") "The Answer" flashes back through the major...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!