A Sanctuary for Each Other: The Protective Power of Clergy Marriages

joseph76joseph76 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www-images.christianitytoday.com/images/113880.png?w=1200

Pastors today have a lot on their plates and the stresses of leadership, burnout, and moral failures are all too real. We are running a series of articles talking about some key struggles for pastors today. Josh Laxton talked to us about how all those in leadership are a work in progress and I talked about six ways pastors struggle.

On Friday, December 6, in partnership with the School of Psychology, Counseling, and Family Therapy, the Billy Graham Center is hosting a one-day conversation on leadership, burnout, and mental health. We invite all pastors to join us in person or via livestream and to bring your leadership teams. It’ll be an important conversation featuring pastors like Rick Warren and Derwin Gray and leaders like Ruth Haley Barton and Phil Ryken. I hope you’ll join me.

Get - Updates - Exchange - Inbox

Get weekly updates from The Exchange delivered to your inbox.

Ecclesiastes 4:9: “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?"

Clergy - Health - Topic - Months - Conversation

Clergy mental health has emerged as an important topic in recent months and has ignited valuable conversation about what pastors can do to attend to their own emotional and spiritual well-being. While important, an exclusively individualistic emphasis can miss perhaps one of the most important resources for mental health available to ministry professionals: the marital relationship.

For couples, finding sanctuary with each other and together with God can be a source of survival in high-stress ministry environments.

Marriage - Refuge - Place - Safety - Stressors

Marriage can serve as a refuge and a place of safety from the stressors of high visibility, congregational conflict, professional isolation, and compassion fatigue. McMinn and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Exchange | A Blog by Ed Stetzer
Wake Up To Breaking News!