The Voice Top 13 Performance Recap: Who Owned Dedication Night?

TVLine | 11/18/2019 | Charlie Mason
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/nup_189281_1180.jpg?w=620

We aficionados of The Voice spent much of the past week still trying to put behind us the shocks of the Live Playoffs. And there had been a few: Blake Shelton saved Cali Wilson, even after she mangled “Toxic”? Kelly Clarkson risked losing Hello Sunday to spare Shane Q, who hadn’t wowed since the Blind Auditions? And John Legend let go Khalea Lynee, for any reason, ever? Yeah, there had been some real head-spinners. Yet the show, as it must, went on Monday, teeing up a night of performances by the Top 13 that were dedicated to someone special. To whom did they send out their songs, and were their numbers music to our ears? Read on, we’ll discuss.

Ricky Duran (Team Blake), “You Are the Best Thing” — Grade: B | Ricky’s girlfriend, he revealed, was the recipient of his dedication. And she had to have dug it. His take on Ray LaMontagne was at once loose and precise, soulful and rockin’. And I love the way Ricky sounds like he’s straining to hit a note even when I suspect he isn’t at all; it builds intensity into the moment. If I have a quibble, it’s that his guitar-playing kept him rooted in place for much of the performance, and unlike Joana, he is a singer who knows how to work a stage without sacrificing the quality of his vocal.

Max - Boyle - Team - Kelly - Unaware

Max Boyle (Team Kelly), “Unaware” — Grade: C | Performing an Allen Stone cover dedicated to the niece and nephew to whom he’s like a big brother, Max wasn’t his usual flawless self. The song got the better of him, sending him now and then into pitchy territory. And when he started wailing, man… I wanted to like it. I wanted it to redeem the performance. But it just sounded kinda...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!