Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/11/18/10/21149276-0-image-a-14_1574072169569.jpg
A third case of plague has been diagnosed in China in a man who caught and ate a wild rabbit.
The 55-year-old became infected around two weeks ago and Chinese health authorities confirmed he was being treated for bubonic plague on Saturday.
Area - Plague - Cases - Month - Xilingol
He lives in the same area as two other plague cases also diagnosed this month – the Xilingol League province of Inner Mongolia, China.
Officials claim there is no link between the first two patients – who have pneumonic plague, a different form – and the third.
Contacts - Man - Rabbit
They said 28 contacts of the man who ate the rabbit have been quarantined.
Regular plague infections have been wiped out across most of the the world but there are still occasional cases reported in China. Most occur in African nations.
Infection - Cent - Cases - Black - Death
The infection can be fatal in as many as 90 per cent of cases if it isn't treated properly, and is most famous for causing the Black Death which killed around a third of all European people in the Medieval era.
Plague is caused by a bacteria called Yesinia pestis, which is most commonly spread from fleas to small mammals like rats, mice, squirrels and rabbits.
People - Animals - Meat - Flea - Contact
This may then spread to people if they eat the animals' meat, are bitten by a flea or come into direct contact with an infected animal or person.
The plague then attacks the immune system, causing glands in the armpits and groin to become swollen and painful, and triggers a fever and gangrene.
It may progress to...
Wake Up To Breaking News!