Social Mediators at #AARSBL19

Emzah92Emzah92 (Posted by) Level 3

I’ve loved, and when possible helped organize, gatherings of bloggers at the annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature. However, I gave up thinking of it as a “bibliobloggers” gathering long ago, since I am involved in AAR as well as SBL and know that there can be long stretches during which my own blogging fails to fit into that category, when there’s a lot about science fiction and little related to the Bible. Then I gave up thinking of it as a gathering of bloggers. Twitter, online news, podcasts, Reddit, Bible Odyssey, and countless other locations bring social media of one sort or another into contact with scholarship in the field of biblical and/or religious studies.

As the number of academic bloggers has waned and then rebounded, I’ve found there to be consistent interest in meeting up face to face on rare occasions such as this one. Yet it is always impossible for us to all convene at one time and in one place due to the busy schedules we all have at the annual meeting.

Sense - Dinner - Reception - Rest

And so lately I’ve been thinking that it makes less sense to try to convene for dinner, and more to try to pick a reception that most of us would go to anyway, and the rest would at least be able to tolerate.

One thing that bloggers like to do is connect with publishers, whether because we want to review their books if they will be so kind as to send them to us, or because our blogging has led us to something that ought to turn into a book.

Mind - Plan - Event

With that in mind, rather than plan yet another competing event, why don’t we try to meet up at...
Wake Up To Breaking News!