The Crown's PRINCESS MARGARET has made her a poster girl for gin-fuelled hedonism - we try it out

Mail Online | 11/16/2019 | Sophia Money-coutts
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/11/07/16/20723736-0-image-a-42_1573144197539.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/02/17/8324219028893578734/1024x576_MP4_8324219028893578734.mp4

Partying till dawn, lie-ins till lunchtime, waited on by an army of flunkies… The Crown’s portrayal of PRINCESS MARGARET has made her a poster girl for gin-fuelled hedonism. But was it all that much fun? Sophia Money-Coutts tries her silky PJs and extra-strength cigarettes for size

Princess Margaret makes an unlikely cultural pin-up. A complex character, as portrayed in Netflix’s The Crown (back on our screens with series three today), she could be wickedly amusing one minute but bitter and brutally rude the next. Yet she’s recently become a cult heroine – applauded and celebrated online – for her devil-may-care attitude and languorous approach to life, spending her mornings drifting from bed to bath before drinking and smoking all afternoon and well into the night. In an age where we rush from alarm clock to bus to office to spin class and then crawl home again, Princess Margaret’s lethargy seems almost admirable. But what was a day as the princess – as detailed in Craig Brown’s glorious biography Ma’am Darling – actually like? Should we really all #BeMoreMargaret? Well, up to a point, but it was harder work than it looked. Especially on her poor old liver...

Wake - Hour - Office - Workers - Desks

9am Wake up and feel instantly guilty at the late hour. So idle! Office workers will already be at their desks eating sad pots of porridge. Remind myself to be more Princess Margaret and less worried about the little people. Margaret was always woken at nine by a servant carrying in papers and breakfast on a tray. But scrambled eggs weren’t on the menu (too common!); instead she only ate ‘buttered eggs’. Am momentarily annoyed that I don’t have a servant, so I text my flatmate demanding that he goes to Tesco for bread and eggs. And newspapers. And cigarettes, since Margaret chain-smoked in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!