Will We Pray in Heaven?

Desiring God | 11/15/2019 | John Piper
entengoentengo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/will-we-pray-in-heaven-fkaho1sv-en/landscape/will-we-pray-in-heaven-fkaho1sv-17f7c0dfae82b5022a0d2bbcdde1cdd7.jpg?ts=1571231172&ixlib=rails-3.1.0&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

Will we pray in heaven? It’s a really great question from a listener named Grant. “Pastor John, today in church we sang the old classic hymn ‘What a Friend We Have in Jesus.’ In the fourth verse is a line that says, ‘Soon in glory bright, unclouded, there will be no need for prayer,’ referring to when we are in heaven. I don’t know if I’ve ever sang that fourth verse before, so the line jumped out at me. It’s jarring to hear the words ‘there is no need for prayer.’ So is prayer just an earthly thing? Is there a role for prayer in heaven? Does the Bible give us any indication of how we will commune with God in eternity?”

Well first, let’s say a word about the song and then about the question of prayer in heaven from Scripture. I’m virtually certain that what Joseph Scriven meant in that line — which Grant quoted from “What a Friend We Have in Jesus” — was that there will be no more aching cry to help us in our troubles in heaven because there will be no more troubles. We won’t be crying out for help in our troubles because we won’t have any troubles.

Reason - Whole - Song - Way - Verse

Now, the reason I think that’s all he meant is because, when I reread the whole song, that’s the way virtually every verse was defining prayer. Let me just read it for you.

All our sins and griefs to bear!

Everything - God - Prayer

Everything to God in prayer!

Everything to God in prayer!

Trials - Temptations

Have we trials and temptations?

Is there trouble anywhere?

We should never be discouraged;

Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Sorrows - Share

Who will all our sorrows share?

Jesus knows our every weakness;