Looking to Indie and Genre Performances in the Best Actress Oscar Race

Variety | 11/14/2019 | Nick Clement
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/lupita-nyongo-us-best-actress.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

This year’s race for lead actress could yield some surprising nominations, outside of some clear front-runners including Renee Zellweger (“Judy”), Charlize Theron (“Bombshell”), and Scarlett Johansson (“Marriage Story”). It’s been a terrific year for female performances, with a wide selection of talent taking on challenging roles spread over various genres. The recent societal demand toward getting more films made with female protagonists seems to be paying off. And even if some of the better performances of the year are contained in smaller films, that doesn’t diminish the quality that’s on display.

Julianne Moore delivered one of the best and most soulful performances of her career in “Gloria Bell,” from Chilean director Sebastian Lelio. The emotionally resonant film examines painful and harsh truths about intimate relationships and the trust that people put into one another. Moore stars as a divorced mother charting a new course for her life, and when she meets a freshly single prospect in the form of scruffy John Turturro, sparks fly amid obstacles.

Story - World - Moore - Life - Characters

“It’s an honest story that reflects upon the real world,” Moore says. “Life is complicated so I’m always interested in characters that have to deal with complication.”

“Gloria Bell” is a snapshot of a woman in personal transit, and serves as a remake of Lelio’s 2013 Spanish-language effort. “The script made a big impact, and I’d seen Sebastian’s original version, which I loved. At first, he was under the impression that I wasn’t interested, but I’d do anything with him,” Moore says.

Touch - Material - Time - Woman - Age

She adds that it’s the “human touch” that she looks for when deciding on what material to occupy her time with. “Here’s a woman of a certain age, whose story we might not normally see on the big-screen, and she’s a complex person going through something very universal and empathetic. This film was very important to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!