Church in Mexico hails election of Archbishop Gomez as USCCB president

Catholic News Agency | 11/14/2019 | Staff
MkgirlzMkgirlz (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Archbishop_Jose_Gomez_of_Los_Angeles_in_Rome_Sept_16_2019_Credit_Daniel_Ibanez_CNA.jpg

Cuautitlan Izcalli, Mexico, Nov 14, 2019 / 07:01 pm (CNA).- Bishop Alfonso Gerardo Miranda Guardiola, auxiliary bishop of Monterrey, has welcomed the election of Archbishop José Gomez of Los Angeles as president of the US bishops' conference, calling it an “eloquent sign” for migrants.

Archbishop Gomez was elected president of the USCCB Nov. 12 during the US bishops' plenary assembly.

Bishop - Miranda - Secretary - General - Mexican

Bishop Miranda, the secretary general of the Mexican bishops' conference, told ACI Prensa that on communicating Gomez' election to the Mexican bishops, “the reaction was one of applause, joy and emotion on receiving the news about Archbishop José Gomez as president of the American bishops' conference. Afterwards bishops even came up to me and told me they were very happy with this news.”

The Mexican bishops are holding their plenary assembly Nov. 11-14 in Cuautitlán Izcalli.

Bishop - Miranda - Conference - Distinction - Compatriot

Bishop Miranda said that “the entire conference rejoiced with this distinction given to a compatriot, a brother, and in my case, someone from my hometown."

The Mexican prelate highlighted that the relationship between the Mexican bishops' conference and Archbishop Gomez “has been extremely close.”

Archbishop - Gomez - Church - Mexico - Organization

He also noted that Archbishop Gomez has helped the Church in Mexico with the organization of the First National Meeting on the Protection of Minors, to be held in March 2020.

Bishop Miranda said the Mexican bishops “are very grateful for that,” and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!