Reprise: You’re Using It Wrong: Ephesians 5:16 & Time

The Aquila Report | 11/12/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://www.logos.com/images/Corporate/LibronixLink_dark.png

There are two enormous problems with this interpretation. First the ancients, including those who lived in Ephesus in the first century, didn’t think of time the way we do, as an asset to be squandered or spent wisely. That is entirely a modern, and more precisely western, conception of time. I would add, it seems to me that the obsession with busyness and the confusion of frenetic activity with productivity is a uniquely American vice.

If you have been around Christian circles for any length of time you have no doubt been admonished at some point “you have to redeem the time” meaning that you need to quit loafing and get busy. The days are evil, in other words, time is short and life is fleeting, so get to work. You may have read this, you may have heard this from the pulpit, you may have had someone tell you this in private, you may even have said it to yourself (or someone else). But I’m sorry to say, if you think Ephesians 5:16 is about industriousness and time management, You’re Using It Wrong!

Problems - Interpretation - First - Ancients - Ephesus

There are two enormous problems with this interpretation. First the ancients, including those who lived in Ephesus in the first century, didn’t think of time the way we do, as an asset to be squandered or spent wisely. That is entirely a modern, and more precisely western, conception of time. I would add, it seems to me that the obsession with busyness and the confusion of frenetic activity with productivity is a uniquely...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!