Schoolgirl, 7, is left with part of skull exposed after being mauled by a German Shepherd

Mail Online | 11/7/2019 | Connor Boyd Health Reporter For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/11/07/15/20722452-0-image-a-14_1573139017279.jpg

A seven-year-old girl nearly lost her eye and was left with part of her skull exposed after being mauled by a German Shepherd.

Sophie Evans had a chunk of her face and scalp ripped off during the vicious attack outside her home in Wombwell, South Yorkshire, in January.

Hours - Surgery - Gashes - Millimetres - Eye

She spent more than five hours in surgery having the gashes, one of which was just millimetres from her right eye, stitched back together.

Her mother Lyndsey, 34, described her horror at seeing her daughter soaked in blood with bite wounds across her face and scalp in A&E.

Mrs - Evans - Hands - Surgeons - Sheffield

Mrs Evans praised the 'magic hands' of surgeons at Sheffield Children's Hospital who treated her at the time.

She said: 'I got a phone call at work to say Sophie had been attacked and I was heartbroken when I saw her.

Day - Hand - OK'

'To this day, I cannot believe how brave she was when I arrived. She just held out her hand and said, 'Mummy, I'm OK'.'

Mrs Evans said Sophie was taken to a local hospital but then transferred to Sheffield Children's Hospital's emergency department.

Sophie - Brother - Jack - Attack - Dog

She said Sophie's nine-year-old brother Jack was there during the attack and was worried that she would not survive. It is unclear who owned the dog.

'I'm used to seeing people on their worst days but nothing can prepare you for being on the other side as a parent,' said Mrs Evans, who is a hospital...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Hell sometimes looks an awful lot like an office cubicle.