Avoid Satanic versus Socratic Questions, Ask Good Questions Well, Even If the Answers . . . (John Milton)

Eidos | 10/23/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/10/2B3A4A95-B629-4D4F-80D5-357A55AC29D9.jpeg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/10/2B3A4A95-B629-4D4F-80D5-357A55AC29D9-768x404.jpeg

God give me better questions so I can love You better.

The way forward is always to ask questions, take tentative answers, never lose contact with the “not knowing” that is part of loving the Beloved Unknown. The tentative nature of any of our answers is part of faithful living, orthodoxy as a window to deeper questions about what still is unknown even with our deeply held, if still provisional, answers.

Socrates - Life - Divine - Certainties - Assumptions

Socrates lived a life seeking the Divine by questioning false certainties, interrogating his own assumptions, and moving toward his supreme love: the Good, that which is known to be, but is unknown in fullness.

Milton seemingly asks great questions in his masterpiece Paradise Lost. His Satan has been viewed, sometimes by me, as overly effective in making his case: a character who got away from the author. This is a mistake, because on a more careful reading,* Satan is a leader who sits on a throne and is open to suggestions about who should lead, asks for opinions, but already has already made up is mind. No defeat educates, no ugliness is avoided, because regardless Satan is at war with any reality that limits his will. Nobody is harmed more than Satan by his selfishness and lack of love, except for anyone and everyone who is nearby when he executes his self-centered plans.

Milton - Paradise - Regained - God-man - Impulses

Milton wrote Paradise Regained where the God-man reflects his best impulses, made greater. In Paradise Lost, Satan and Adam ask his best questions. The questions motivate and move the action of the dialogue. Why?

They are ill formed questions from Satan, twisted, manipulated to achieve an end and not find truth. When Satan asks Eve “Has God said . . .”this is a false question, not at all dialectical. Satan knows what God has said and is working to deceive Eve....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!