We’re Not Going Home

Irreverin | 10/23/2019 | Staff
Goobee (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/333/2019/10/aisle-altar-arches-2061525.jpg

“My new office is by the band room” Mom said, as we talked over supper.

She had just started one of her first jobs in Southern Louisiana as an Assistant Principal of a rural middle school. The town was known for its long-standing relationship with the KKK, just to give you some sense of the place.

Location - Tactics - Male - Colleagues - Superiors

Sending her to such a remote location was one of many tactics by her male colleagues and superiors to bully her out of her field. No matter that mom had 22 years of tried and true experience in the classroom– her gender meant she had to work harder AND smarter than her male counterparts. And, apparently, in a remote location.

And so, these were the dinnertime conversations in my home growing up. I remember a day when we were packing my lunch in our crowded kitchen, and I was complaining because my friends –whose moms didn’t –work didn’t have to pack their own lunches. I was holding a bunch of green grapes in my hand.

Sister - Mom - Stay - Home - Mom

“It’s because I want you and your sister to know that you can be whatever you want to be.” Mom said. “If you want to be a stay at home mom, you can. If you want to work outside the home, you can. And you might not understand it now, but it is important to me that I model that for you.”

Then she added for good measure, “Have you ever lacked for anything?” She smiled and kissed my forehead as I squirmed.

Weekend - John - MacArthur - Beth - Moore

This weekend, when John MacArthur said that Beth Moore and all other women preachers should “just go home,” I took a minute to think about home, and what I learned there.

I was a seminary student. I was just visiting that Sunday and never had any plans...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Irreverin
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: